Thursday, October 7, 2010

Burnt Sugar Gelato

Truth be told when I made my carmel attempt this week I was doing some multitasking so the sugar got a little burnt and of course that flavor carried into the carmel. When thinking about finishing off last night's fall meal with an apple treat and thinking about using up the 'burnt carmel' instead of throwing it out I was reminded of burnt sugar ice cream. Yum!
I've been wanting to try to make gelato instead because it doesn't require eggs, so putting all that together today's experiment was modifying a chocolate gelato recipe to utilize ingredients I had in house and use up the burnt sugar. Like ice cream it was a two part process...

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups non-fat millk
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
a few shakes of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 recipe of carmel (in previous post), with the sugar a bit burnt

Put two cups of milk in a heavy saucepan on medium heat. Whisk together 1/4 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla. As the milk begins to boil add the milk mixture to it, use a whisk and stir constantly for three minutes. Turn burner off and add in burnt carmel, whisking until smooth.

Let stand 5 minutes to cool.

Place in a sealed container in the fridge for 6 hours


Remove from fridge and put in ice cream maker. I have a KitchenAid with an ice cream maker attachment, I had it on the lowest speed for 30 minutes.

Then put it in a freezer safe container and store in the freezer until ready to eat. Should probably be eaten within a week of being made.




No comments:

Post a Comment