Monday, June 6, 2011

Friendly Yoga

 The founder of Anusara Yoga, John Friend, was teaching a few classes at a studio near here. I am going to Wanderlust in Vermont with my sister and signed up for some of John Friend's classes there but those will be huge amounts of people so the opportunity to participate in a class in a smaller setting was really appealing and absolutely terrifying - I've had 3 individual classes, I don't know what I'm doing and to then be in front of the founder of the method... 

The classes sold out quickly but the universe conspired, a class was added so my sister and I registered. What a wonderful experience. There were about 40 people filling this studio with their love, beauty and grace. John Friend welcomed every level of ability and participation and valued each person. When we entered the studio we were given name tags to put on our mats, so when people came by to offer adjustments they were able to talk to students by name. As John moved through the space directing these eager pupils he walked by my mat and said "Good job, Angela." My teacher in Boston had said that John Friend can get you to do things you never thought possible. She was right. My fourth yoga class and I was standing on my hands - with some assistance. 

What beautiful experience. It feels like the beginning of transformation. 
When's the next class?

No comments:

Post a Comment