Sunday, September 30, 2012

Homemade Tamales

I love tamales and have wanted to try to make them but been intimidated by the thought. I had dinner at a friend's house who was making tortillas and asked him if he'd made tamales, he said he had, talked me through the process and assured me I could do it. So, with that boost of confidence I made my first attempt at tamales.

Ingredients
corn husks (soaked in water to soften)
corn meal dough (I got Harina P.A.N. and followed recipe on the side)
black beans (sautéed garlic, onion, poblano peppers, added water and black beans and simmered until cooked)
butternut squash (steamed, mashed with cinnamon and salt)
queso blanco

Spread corn meal dough on corn husk, spread filling (squash, beans, cheese) and roll up the corn husk so that filling is encased in corn meal dough. Use strips of corn husk to tie husks closed.

Steam the tamales for about an hour.
Enjoy! I served them on sautéed kale from the garden with some fresh sliced avocado on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment