Thursday, December 12, 2013

Persimmon Pudding


Around the holidays my grandmother used to always make persimmon pudding. As a child I never really appreciated it. Recently I have been feeling very sentimental about it and wanted to try to make it myself. As it turns out she took the recipe from the Joy of Cooking and it is really easy.  I made a few adjustments based on what I had on hand.

Ingredients:
2 overly ripe persimmons (Diospyros Virginiana variety) 
1 egg
generous 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 Tablespoons melted salted butter
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 325
Press the persimmon pulp through a strainer then add all your other ingredients to that and mix until well combined. Grease a baking dish, or in my case I used muffin tins, and pour batter in to bake until firm, about 45 minutes in the muffin tins. Serve with fresh whipped cream. 

This lovely desert is also reminiscent of an English pudding which as a child I did not appreciate as I do now that I have spent time in England. 

I ended up freezing most of these little pudding to enjoy later. They'll be easy to heat up as a quick desert. 




No comments:

Post a Comment