Sunday, February 26, 2012

Aebleskiver - low sodium

My Grandmother is Danish. It was always a treat to have aebleskiver when staying at her house. If we were there on a Sunday it would be waffles for breakfast - a tradition my Dad carried on in our house. Although it is Sunday there was still some buttermilk here that needed to be used up so I adapted my Grandma's recipe for my Dad's low sodium diet and made my parents aebleskiver for breakfast.

Beat together wet ingredients
1 3/4 cups reduced fat buttermilk
3 egg yolks (don't discard the white you'll use those later)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons melted (& cooled) butter

With a fork mix dry ingredients together
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Hain sodium free baking powder
2 teaspoons Ener-G baking soda substitute

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and blend until smooth - make a fairly thick batter about the consistency of cake batter

Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry

Fold egg whites in to the batter

Butter the "cups" in the pan, when butter starts to sizzle add batter, when batter begins to bubble turn each over to cook the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment