Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits - salt free

I'm visiting my parents and they'd mentioned they had buttermilk that needed to be used. Buttermilk always makes me think biscuits. My dad is on a very low sodium diet which has been a challenge for my mom. We'd found Ener-G Foods baking soda substitute and Hain sodium free baking powder.

So I got up this morning and made biscuits (and eggs) for breakfast.

Mix
1 egg white
6 tablespoons softened, not melted, unsalted butter
3/4 cup reduced sodium buttermilk

In a separate bowl combine
1 tablespoon baking soda substitute
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

With a spoon mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
Add 1 teaspoon honey while mixing

When everything is mixed but still crumbly gently mold with you hands into biscuits and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment