Friday, December 30, 2011

Kale, an inside job


I may have an obsession. While with my parents the last few weeks a friend of theirs heard me talk about eating kale at least once a day and she asked is I thought kale could heal the world and bring peace. Without hesitation I answered yes. In November when talking to a friend about kale he said that he thinks Popeye got it wrong, it's kale that makes you feel like Popeye does after eating spinach. 

I've spent a lot of time with my parents the last six months as my dad has undergone a stem cell transplant and is now doing chemo. Helping with his care and care for the caretaker (my mom) a lot of which is being in charge of the food has made me think a lot more about what goes in to my body, how different foods make me feel and how they can heal. Then using some of that in decision about what to cook for my parents particularly when they're not eating very much trying to make sure what they are eating is the most healing foods. 

So, with my kale obsession in mind I decided to see if I can do an indoor winter garden and have planted kale. If it starts to grow I may try to plant a few other things although I don't have much space or enough space with sun to diversify too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment