Thursday, August 30, 2012

BBQ Inspired Friday Feast


For the last few years my husband and I have taken the lead with Friday night dinner of Labor Day Weekend for the weekend long celebration at his parents' house. Another couple has helped us out and contributed to dinner the last few years but last year they moved to Vegas so we're on our own. 

We've had the Texas Chili recipe from a local BBQ restaurant, Redbones, on our fridge for over a month now so we decide to try that out and built the rest of the menu around that. I wanted to do something that could all be prepared ahead of time so when we got to New Hampshire we could just crack open a beer and relax. I wasn't sure if there were vegetarians in the crowd and found the Redbones recipe for mac 'n cheese so decided to do that. I thought cornbread may be necessary to soak up the chili and then of course some vegetables and with the heavy chili and mac 'n cheese I decided on a palate cleansing slaw. 

I did all the cooking today so everything is ready to bring and re-heat tomorrow. 


for the cornbread, I bought Trader Joe's corn bread mix, roasted, peeled & chopped jalapeños and added that to the mix




Mac 'n Cheese  I made the full recipe then after mixing half the cheese sauce with half the macaroni I added sautéd onion and roasted jalapeño in to the cheese sauce and then over the macaroni


Coleslaw 
red cabbage, carrots, fennel, cucumber, red russian kale
dressing in the food processor: lime juice, honey, scallions, jalapeños, cilantro, salt








No comments:

Post a Comment