Monday, August 20, 2012

Necklace Repair


My grandmother had three daughters (and a son) and two granddaughters (myself & my sister, and 5 grandsons). So when she passed there was a lot of jewelry that her daughters did not want and was offered to us granddaughters. This necklace was one of those things. It's a very simple necklace, white beads on white thread, knotted to keep a separation between the beads. On the clasp it says 'Made in Western Germany.' I suspect it may have been a gift to my grandmother from my mother that she purchased while studying abroad in Germany. 


The necklace was also broken. I liked the simplicity of it so I decided to keep it and every time I open my jewelry drawer I'm reminded I have some repair work to do so that I can wear it. So today's the day, simple repair, I used embroidery thread which seemed to share the same characteristics as the original thread used. I pulled it through one part of the clasp, so that the center of the thread was in the clasp and knotted it off, then pulled both ends through each bead, knotting after each bead and tied it off at the other part of the clasp. Now I can finally wear this necklace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment