Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Arepas - uses for left over corn

I had some left over grilled corn and was trying to figure out how to use it. After looking in to a few options, corn cakes, corn soup... I decided on arepas


Mix together
1 cup cornmeal, like you'd use for tamales or tortillas 
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt

Finely chop and mix together
4 scallions - I used a mix of scallions and chives because I didn't have enough scallions in my garden
1/4 cup cilantro
1 ear of corn - I used a left over grilled ear 
1 jalapeno 

On the stove bring 
1 cup of milk to a simmer and add
2 Tablespoons of butter once it's melted turn off the heat
Mix in the cornmeal mixture, once mixed 
add the other mixture 
let dough sit, if it's not sticking you can add a little more milk

Form dough into small disks
Heat oil in a frying pan, add dough disks and fry until golden 

Usually you'd split arepas and fill them, these didn't really split, so I topped them. You can top them with whatever sounds good to you, I used beans and quick chopped veggies topped with avocado. 


No comments:

Post a Comment