Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sweet & Savory Pop Tarts




I tried a Pop Tart the other day. I ate one out of a package and about 10 minutes later felt like I needed to lie down and take a nap. I like the idea, a quick grab and go bite, but it did not give me the get up and go energy I was hoping for it seemed to give a quick rush and big crash so I decided to look up a pop tart recipe and tried out one I found on Smitten Kitchen

I think once you find a pastry recipe you like the next step is playing with fillings and frosting if you want it (I didn't attempt it this time). I liked the pastry dough so I'm excited to try these again with some more filling experiments. 

My biggest challenge was that it's 90 degrees, I do not have air conditioning so it was a hot day for the dough which made things a bit more sticky and not those perfect rectangles you imagine. 

First step was to make the dough
Whisk together 
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
with a fork mix in 
1 cup of butter
in a small bowl beat together
1 egg
2 Tablespoons milk 
once the egg is well mixed add it in to the other mixture, now you have your dough! Stick it in the fridge while you get your fillings ready 

For fillings I used some left overs I had - a jar of fig jam, some chocolate chips, arugula pesto with feta

Roll out the dough and cut into rectangles
beat an egg
Brush what will be the inside bottom of the pop tart with egg
add filling
put top on, the egg will help to seal it, press around the sides with a fork and use the fork to poke holes in the top, I used different patterns based on the different fillings
Put pop tarts on parchment lined baking sheets and place in the fridge 
turn the oven on to 350, when it's preheated put the pop tarts right in the oven and cook for 20 minutes



No comments:

Post a Comment