Friday, September 20, 2013

Cucumber Sandwich

Our garden has been struggling a bit this year. The weather has had some kind of extreme swings which hasn't helped anything except perhaps cucumbers... I have more cucumbers this year that I've ever had before. Although I love pickles, I've run out of containers to put any more in... so I looked up some other cucumber recipes and tried this one for Roasted Cucumber Sandwiches


I am generally not a particularly precise cook so if you're interested in more exact amounts of things then check out the recipe linked above. Here's what I did:
Preheat the oven to 400
brush cucumbers with melted butter and put them in the oven for about 15minutes, you want them to stay a bit crisp but also be tender, I know sounds contradictory. When they're cooked put them in the fridge to chill. 

Mix together
equal parts Greek yogurt & mayonnaise 
salt-packed capers, chopped 
clove of garlic, chopped 
fresh parsley, chopped 
fresh mint, chopped 
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Slice focaccia, brush with olive oil and lightly toast in the oven. 
Slice the cooked cucumbers and toss them with the yogurt mixture.
Build your sandwich and enjoy! 


It was a fun twist on an English cucumber sandwich and a nice way to use some cucumbers. 
It will keep for a few days as long as you only mix the cucumber with the yogurt when you're ready to eat it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment