Thursday, September 26, 2013

Scones from the Garden


It's 9:30 and I'm at my computer, with my coffee and 3 types of scones to sample. This morning is off to a pretty productive start.

I love fall but my garden does not and as I prepare to be gone for a week I was trying to think of a way to keep some of my garden goodies in case it gets too cold for much to survive in my garden. I had a lot of raspberries and some spicy peppers (they are either poblanos or padrones, I've been unable to determine which). And I threw in a third type of scone based on what was in the fridge. These will also double as breakfast for my early morning flight tomorrow and the rest of them will be waiting in the freezer for me.

Raspberry Oat Scones - inspired by Scottish Oat Scone Recipe

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups old fashioned oatmeal oats
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspooon salt
2/3 cup butter melted
1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 egg
fresh raspberries (I didn't measure I used all the ones I picked this morning so it was probably about a cup)

Mix together the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined
add in raspberries
I formed small balls and flattened them to about 3/4 inch by hand then placed them on parchment lined baking sheet and baked at 450  for 12 minutes


Bacon & Date Scones (because I had some bacon and dates on hand)

6 slices of bacon
10 dates
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter
2/3 cup milk

Cook the bacon, until cooked but not crispy then chop
Remove pits from dates and cut into small pieces
Mix together the dry ingredients
Toss the dates in with the dry ingredients, then add the bacon
Cut the butter into small pieces and toss in
Mix in milk then mix with hands a bit
I formed small balls and flattened them to about 3/4 inch by hand then placed them on parchment lined baking sheet
brush top of each scone with left over bacon fat from cooking bacon then sprinkle with maple sugar
bake at 400 for 15 minutes


3 C Scones (Cheddar, Chive, Cornmeal)

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal - I used polenta
1/2 Tablespoon bakign powder
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
dash of cinnamon, paprika & fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup of milk - you may not need to use it all, mix it in slowly
1 Tablespoon butter
spicy peppers

Remove seeds from peppers and cut small, put on the stove with the tablespoon of butter and let cook a little
Mix together the dry ingredients
Add in the chives and cheese
Add the milk and mix until just combined, the full cup of milk made the consistence more like a dough than a batter so you may want to add less and have a more firm dough, if you add it all (which I did) then drop spoonfuls of batter on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400  for 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment