Thursday, October 31, 2013

Festive Fall Dinner for Halloween


Happy Halloween! Growing up the tradition in my family was to have cheese fondue for dinner on Halloween and although it's a tradition that would be fun to cary forward I was feeling like what I really needed today was some vegetables so I'll postpone have fondue for a bit and decided to work with some seasonal flavors and colors of fall instead.  

I started by looking up how to cook this lovely red kuri squash I had. It seemed similar to a kabocha squash to me so I ended up using this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. Which was also interesting to me because I have coconut oil but haven't really figured out when to use it yet...  I sliced the squash tossed it in coconut oil seasoned with salt and pepper and roasted it in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes. 
I had harvested the last two kohlrabi bulbs from my garden and decided to try a kind of latke fritter type thing with it. I grated the kohlrabi and squeezed as much liquid out of it as I could. I added diced onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and a scrambled egg. Then I heated up some oil in a frying pan and when it was hot put scoops of the kohlrabi mixture in to fry.


I also picked some kale from the garden and sautéed that with garlic and picked some beet greens too for garnish. Lastly I sliced up a watermelon radish I had for a little extra color on the plate.



Since the trick-or-treaters shouldn't be the only ones getting a treat we also had miniature pumpkin whoopie pie mini muffins. I cheated a bit here. I had found a box of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread Mix in my pantry so I baked the mix in mini muffin tins. Right when I removed them from the oven I stuck a chocolate chip on top so they'd look like little pumpkins with a stem on top. While those were cooling I made  whoopie pie filling: beat 1 stick of butter with 1 2/3 cups of powdered sugar, then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 cup of Fluff (since it was invented right down the road). I sliced the mini muffins in half and put a scoop of fluffy filling in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment