Friday, October 18, 2013

some cooking with Cashew Cheese

I used to be a vegetarian. That was many years ago now but I still tend not to cook meat. I really admire people that can take that a step further and make amazing vegan food. I've been following Wholly Vegan, mostly on Instagram, and always find myself thinking "that looks delicious!" I had been curious about cashew cheese. I like cashews and cheese... how could this be bad? And the basic recipe for it sounded easy to do, so I made some cashew cheese

Soak 1 cup of raw cashews for at least and hour
strain then blend with 1/4 cup of water
add juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
clove of garlic
blend it all together

Now that I had this cheese what would I do with it? I'm not sure how long it will last before it goes bad.





The first day I tried a stacked caprese salad with fresh tomato and basil from my garden. 

I layered a slice of tomato put a little salt and pepper, cashew cheese and fresh basil. 


I tried stuffing a small poblano pepper, I sliced it in half, filled it with cashew cheese and baked it then topped with some fresh tomato





The last thing I tried was stuffing a cucumber. I sliced it in rounds, removed the seeds, placed the cucumber on a slice of watermelon radish then filled the whole where the seeds were with the cashew cheese and topped with a slice of avocado, some watermelon radish slices, salt, pepper and pomegranate seeds. 

I had a lot of fun with the cashew cheese and look forward to doing more experimenting with it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment