Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tostones - fried plantains


I worked for many years in Chelsea, Massachusetts and one of the things I miss the most is the great Latin food. It's not too hard to find sweet plantains around, there's a great plantain and kale dish at a restaurant called the Paint Burro right near my house, but it's hard to find those delicious salty, garlicy, fried plantains so I decided to try making my own. 

slice plantains into 1/2 inch rounds
heat oil on the stove when it's hot add in the plantain


cook for about 3 minutes per side then remove from the oil, but don't discard the oil yet


flatten the plantains, I used a grill press, then heat up the oil again and put the plantains back in to cook a little more 


cook for about a minute on each side, remove from heat place on paper towels
sprinkle with salt and garlic powder and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment