Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Apple Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting


As I may have mentioned before, I think if there is a birthday there needs to be cake. This year when I asked my husband what kind of cake he'd like he said carrot. So I got to work finding a recipe to try and decided on an apple carrot cake. I think the real appeal to carrot cake is often the cream cheese frosting and I am a sucker for anything maple so I did a maple cream cheese frosting to top it off. 


Apple Carrot Cake 

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup packed grated carrots
1 1/2 cup packed grated tart apples
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Mix the oil and eggs and mix in to the dry ingredients
Add the carrots, apples and pecans
Split the batter between two 9 inch round cake pans that have been greased and floured
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes


Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

16 oz cream cheese
1 stick butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup

Leave the cream cheese and butter to get to room temperature. Using a mixer, combine all the ingredients. Let the frosting chill for 15 minutes before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment