Monday, June 16, 2014

Rhubarb Simple Syrup and a few cocktails

In trying to think of something to do with rhubarb other than strawberry rhubarb pie and crumble I decided to try making some rhubarb simple syrup for seasonal cocktails.


To make the simple syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup sliced rhubarb

Put all ingredients in a pot and let simmer for about half an hour.
Strain the syrup into a jar to save and I put rhubarb pulp which is like a rhubarb compote in another container but haven't decided how I'll use it yet. I love the color of the simple syrup!


Frozen Strawberry Rhubarb
inspired by the daiquiri
ice
strawberries - I used fresh but you could use frozen and cut back on the amount of ice you use
rhubarb simple syrup
your favorite clear spirits

I filled the small size Nutribullet cup half full with ice and half full with strawberries then added rhubarb simple syrup and I used Schoharie Shine but you could use rum or vodka or no alcohol at all. Then blend until smooth.

Rhubarb Collins
1 oz simple
1 oz lemon juice
2 oz gin
Add all the above ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake
Strain into a glass and top with soda water

No comments:

Post a Comment