Monday, January 3, 2011

beans, beans

I brought a few goodies back from the Bay Area... coffee from the Connoisseur Coffee Co., Blue Bottle Coffee, and Ritual Roasters; some heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo; and some fresh tamales that I froze to help them last the trip...

So tonight we had a little taste of home for dinner.


I cooked Rio Zape Beans. The dried beans are beautiful I was so excited to get to enjoy them. I used advice from the rancho gordo website to decide on my cooking method.
- soaked the beans four about 30 minutes while I was prepping
- sauteed an onion with 3 slices of bacon
- added the beans with the water they were soaking in
- boiled beans for 5 minutes then covered and let simmer until cooked which was about 2 hours

Then I steamed two of the butternut squash with green chili and jack tamales I brought back and put that on a bed of spinach that came from our farm share.

No comments:

Post a Comment