Wednesday, January 5, 2011

perogies

We get lots of potatoes in our winter farm share and I've been trying to think of more things to do with them... I remembered the great perogie lesson from Gram. Unfortunately I couldn't find the recipe I had from here so I looked for one online and the one that came the closest to what I remembered was here.

We also had a small butternut squash that needed to be eaten so I made two fillings. First I cooked the squash and the potatoes.

Then I started on the dough:
- mix 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of salt
- beat 2 eggs, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, add 1 cup of water
- mix dry and wet ingredients, knead until smooth
- cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes

While the dough was resting I made the fillings, I mixed all the ingredients in a food processor.

Potato Filling:
- cooked potatoes
- cottage cheese
- salt, pepper, parsley, dill


Butternut squash Filling:
- cooked squash
- fresh ricotta
- salt, cinnamon


Then it was time to puteverything together, roll outthe dough, cut circles which I then rolled out a little more, put a scoop of filling then fold over the dough and if it wasn't sealing shut, dipped my finger in water and ran over the edge of the dough to seal the dough packets.
Then I dropped the perogies in boiling water to cook and chopped up onions, sauteed them in butter then sauteed the perogie to get a crisp golden skin
and then... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment