Wednesday, January 5, 2011

kombucha

I love kombucha. There, I've said it (or written it at least). It is an expensive habit so I've been interested in trying to make it myself. Although I have also been told this could just be a withdrawal reaction to not having brewed beer in over a year. I discovered a friend has been experimenting with it and could give me one of her scoby babies. The only instruction I got from her was that it's easy, just look up a recipe online. While the internet is a brilliant wealth of everything you could dream of wanting to know about to search through everything and decide what recipe to choose was a bit challenging. After reading many recipes and noticing they were all pretty similar I decided to dive in... fingers crossed this will work out...


Here's what I did *remember this is just starting my first experiment in brewing kombucha and as of now I have no idea if I will have a successful batch out of this*

1 gallon of water (store bought, not tap)
3 black tea bags
1 green tea bag
1 cup of sugar


  • I put the 4 tea bags in a large pot
  • to move things quickly I boiled water in an electric kettle which had to be done in two batches, each immediately added to the tea
  • I set a timer for 10 minutes and let the tea steep
  • removed tea bags
  • added sugar and stirred until it dissolved
  • I left it to cool, covered, in the pot for awhile
  • transfered tea to fermenting vessel and let cool more, wanting the tea and the scoby to both be room temperature
  • dumped the scobi and all the liquid with it into the tea
  • covered with cheese cloth and since the vessel had an attached lid, flopped that over but did not close or seal because the scoby will need to off gas
Now I have to wait about 14 days to see if it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment