Friday, November 8, 2013

Salt Dough Ornaments


Christmas is coming so I decided to try this old classic for Christmas tree ornaments.
I've seen a few variations on recipe for these, not in the proportions but mostly in the bake time

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water 
3 Tablespoons cinnamon, optional to give a nice scent to the ornaments but it does also turn them brown 

Mix together ingredients, make dough and roll out on a floured board. Cut into whatever shapes you like and use a toothpick to poke a hole so after they're cooked you can add a string to hang them. 
Bake 325 for 1 hour 
They came out kind of puffy which I think could have been baking them at 325 for an hour instead of 250 for 2 hours. 


Once they're cooked and cooled you can decorate them however you'd like! I love that there's so much flexibility and creativity in this!

Simple rounds can be turned in to anything.

Before you cook the dough you can even try using a rubber stamp (dab it in flour first so it doesn't stick to the dough). Once it was cooked I hand colored the stamped part using paint pens. These are also a great add to the top of holiday presents.


For this "major award" I uses a cookie cutter and painted with gold nail polish and used a sharpie for the black details. 


I experimented with whatever I had on hand to paint, from left over paints to nail polish to pens… 



 I had a lot of fun with this! So much space for experiments and creativity and so inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment