Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rainbow Cake Balls a.k.a. Unicorn Poop


St. Patrick's Day in Boston is a big event. It also coincides with a local holiday called Evacuation Day. 

Since we were headed to our friends house who live near near the parade route and now have a baby I decided instead of the usual beer and booze items we would go more family friendly. 

Everyone needs to wear green - even desert and since leprechauns and rainbows pop up for St Patrick's I used that as my inspiration. Although, after making this I think it could also be called unicorn poop.

Here's what you need:
box of white cake mix and all the ingredients listed on box
container of white frosting
food coloring 
box of brownie mix and all the ingredients listed on box
candy melts - for this I used green and white  and I bought them at Michaels instead of melting white chocolate chips but that would also work
sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
Follow the directions on the box of cake to make the batter, then separate the batter into 6 containers and use food coloring to color each bowl of cake batter a different color
Cook colored cake batter as cupcakes 
bake the brownies according to the directions on the package
once cooked and cooled place each cake color in a separate bowl again and divide the can of frosting between each color then mix in
take small portions of each color and layer together then roll slightly to form a ball
roll out cooked and slightly cooled brownies 
wrap brownie layer around the colored cake ball 
* I ended up with about twice as much colored cake as I had brownies so I did some just cake balls and some brownie wrapped


in a double boiler melt the candy melts and dip the cake balls in to coat them


Since I had some rainbow cake balls with brownie and some without I decided to differentiate by coating the brownie ones in dark green and adding some white candy melts to that to coat the plain rainbows in a lighter green and added some sprinkles for a little extra festive touch

The real trick will be getting people to bite these in half and see the rainbow inside instead of popping the whole things all at once. 


No comments:

Post a Comment