Monday, November 14, 2011

Cupboard in distress

In my past job I met a woman who did art therapy mostly with people. She said one of favorite things to be able to do was working with people to refurnish furniture. Living in the city there's almost always something out on the curb that could use a little fix and a new home. We came across this cupboard in a store it was waiting to be refinished but we were able to get a bargain to refinish it ourselves, so along with the painting last week I started this project too. 

first I removed some molding that was around the top
then I used 100 grit sandpaper to sand it down
and primed it with an oil based primer 
I wanted to blend the colors with the new kitchen colors so I did an accent with the red from the walls
I also wanted an old and distressed look so after doing some research incorporated some tips including alternating between big heavy paint strokes and going back over the paint with just water on the brush
after I painted all the doors 
I took a small cheese knife and distressed them by gently removing some of the paint
and on the top doors I used a chalkboard paint.
Door hardware is expensive everywhere but you can get great funky designs for about 75% off in the sale section at Anthropologie so our new knobs came from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment