Thursday, August 8, 2013

Beer Pickles




My garden has felt unusually slow this year. My green beans and snap peas came and went quickly without producing much. Arugula and lettuce did ok and I have some kale but my broccoli and cauliflower are only leaves and my root vegetables and tomatoes, peppers and eggplants seem to be taking their time. The one thing I have an abundance of is pickling cucumbers. While looking up spent grain recipes I also came across a recipe for pickles brined in beer on on the Brooklyn Brewshop website.

cucumbers
12 oz beer
1/4 cup water
2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 T salt

Seasoning
1 T peppercorns
1 T mustard seeds
2 cloves of garlic smashed
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes

In a saucepan combine beer, water, vinegar, sugar and salt, heat and stir to dissolve sugar.
Bring it to a simmer and then turn off the heat.
Put seasonings in the jars, add sliced cucumbers and fill with liquid from saucepan. Feel free to use your own favorite seasoning combinations, I mixed it up and did a few jars with the seasonings listed and then a few with fresh dill from the garden and garlic and pepper.
Keep pickles in the fridge - leave for at least two days before eating.




No comments:

Post a Comment