Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pop Tarts Part II

I tried out a few new pop tart fillings. I am planning to do some hiking this weekend and wanted to be able to bring a snack with a little extra punch so I decided pop tarts with chia seeds fillings would be good.

I used the blueberry chia jam that I had made and also tried a Fig Compote

1/2 lb fresh figs
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons honey
3 Tablespoons chia seeds

Cut the stems off the figs & quarter them
Everything will cook together in a pan on the stove
Start with the butter, brown sugar and honey and let them combine into a syrup
Add the figs and let them cook down
Add in the chia seeds and continue to cook a bit longer, stirring frequently throughout the whole process


 


Once it has cooled it can be used as a filling. I ended up making my pop tart dough a day ahead and leaving it in the fridge until I was ready to use it. I used different fork patterns on the tops of the pop tarts to I could differentiate the fillings.

(shown uncooked)

If you like yours with frosting, one they're out of the oven, mix together powdered sugar and water for a simple frosting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment