Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cornish Pasties

I first discovered Cornish Pasties when I lived in England for a year during college. When I took a day trip to Nantucket at the beginning of the summer I ended up at the Nantucket Pasty Company and was reminded of these delicious treats. Since then I've been wanting to try making them myself. I used the recipe I found on Farmgirl Fare.

First make the pastry
3 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter (straight out of the fridge)
3/4 cups cold water

Put the flour and salt in a food processor and mix together. Add the cold butter cut into small pieces and mix until begins to combine. Add the water so dough just holds together then remove from food processor, shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.

Next prepare the filling
12 oz raw beef, I ended up with tri-tip, the recipe I used recommended skirt or chunk
2 cups onion
2 cups red or yukon gold potatoes
2 cups carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

Chop the ingredients to 1/3 inch cubes and toss together with the other ingredients
Preheat oven to 400

Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut into 6 pieces.
One at a time roll out the dough to 9 inch round - add flour as necessary to prevent sticking
Fill dough with about 1 cup of filling and bring up the sides of the dough and pinch together
Brush the sealed pasties with an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 2 Tablespoons milk)

Put pasties on parchment lined cookie sheet to cook for 45 minutes.


Serve with mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment