Monday, March 21, 2011

boiled dinner

Paddy's Day seemed to be more of a week long adventure, bookended by 5K races and the infamous South Boston parade yesterday. 


Even with the week long adventure we didn't have boiled dinner. So, today snow was falling again - welcome spring - it seemed like a good day to make my first attempt at corned beef and vegetables (since I didn't have cabbage). 

I got a package of grey corned beef, the smallest one I could find which was about 4lbs and looked up a recipe. I slightly modified the one I found at Simply Recipes.


Put the corned beef in a large pot and cover with water. 
Add 
20 peppercorns
10 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
cover the pot then let simmer about 4 hours until meat is tender



Remove meat from pot and add vegetables to broth 
I used what I had on hand
12 small potatoes
1 bunch of collard greens
beet
celery
two onions
portabella mushrooms
cut veg up in large chunks, add to the broth and cook on a high simmer for half an hour or until potatoes are tender

serve with horseradish and mustard

No comments:

Post a Comment