Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Seasonal Apple Squash Soup

I've been doing a lot of sweet treats with my apples so I thought I'd try something a little more savory and experimented with a soup.

Ingredients:
2 apples (I used one cortland & one Fiji)
Butternut or similar squash ( I used the 'neck' of one that is like a bumpy butternut, the remainder of which is shown in the photo)
Shallot (I used half a leek because I had it but an onion would also work)
Handful of raw cashews
2 tablespoons butter
Fresh sage
Salt, pepper, cinnamon (maybe even curry powder)

Put the butter & sage in a pan until butter just starts to brown then add leek (or shallot or onion), when it begins to soften add apple (peeled, cored, cut in small pieces), when they are mushy add squash (cut in small pieces) and cashews (these will make things a bit creamy) and cover, after squash begins to soften add some water and salt, pepper and dash of cinnamon, let simmer a little longer and I mashed everything with a potato masher since it was cooking long enough to be very soft but you can purée it if you'd like and that will help make the creaminess of the cashews really incorporate into the soup. Also feel free to add some curry powder if that's a flavor you enjoy it works well with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment