Thursday, October 4, 2012

the cut of change



After college and a break up I shaved my head. I had wanted to for years but had not had the courage to get out from behind my hair. It was incredibly liberating. And I donated by hair to Locks of Love which seemed like such a simple way to make a contribution. Now every few years I get a haircut and donate my locks. My hair carries a lot of weight for me with ideas about things like femininity and hippiedom and long hair having a more soft and passive implication while short hair is more edgy. All these crazy ideas tied up in hairstyles. Now every few years, heavy under the weight of my hair and the  weight of life I am ready for change and lightness. The symbolism of a drastic haircut is a great way to let go of whatever was holding me down and move forward. It is unusual for me to pay for a haircut but a friend of a friend moved out from Portland, OR and was looking for new clients so I decided to 'treat' myself to a professional cut. I looked up pictures and tried to decide on a style and brought in ideas from mohawks (which I have also thought about doing for a long time) and pixie cuts and was thrilled with the combo haircut the stylist gave me. I left feeling like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, emerging from behind my hair to a reinvented lighter, more confidant self. Amazing that a haircut, which has no impact on who I am can provide such a feeling of personal change.


I'm not much for posting photos of myself but here's a hint at the cut Erica gave me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment