Friday, January 18, 2013

Drunken Brisket Empenadas

Last week I made a drunken brisket in the pressure cooker. This week I turned the meat into empanadas filling. I'd saved the liquid that the brisket cooked in. I started by putting the liquid in a pot and letting it simmer and reduce. While that was happening I pulled the brisket and chopped it a little then added it to the sauce. 

When I've made empanadas in the past I've used frozen discos but couldn't find them at the grocery store so I tried my hand at making my own dough. I used a recipe from Laylita's Recipes

In a food processor mix
3 cups flour
1 1/2 sticks salted butter
5 Tablespoons water 
Form the dough into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes
Roll out the dough and cut into circles 


Put the brisket in the middle of the dough disk, rub water around the edge of the disk, fold dough over the filling and press edges together to close the crescent. The water will help it seal together and can also be used to seal the dough if it cracks because it is too dry. 

Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment