Sunday, January 13, 2013

Drunken Brisket in a Pressure Cooker

I had defrosted a brisket but did not want cooking it to be an all day project. We were given a pressure cooker a few few years ago but I have been too nervous to try it out. 


I started by making a spice rub
           1 Tablespoon salt
           1 teaspoon pepper
           1/4 teaspoon paprika
           1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
           1/2 teaspoon mustard
           1/4 teaspoon chipotle
           1/2 teaspoon thyme


I put a little oil in the bottom of the pressure cooker. Then I browned the brisket on all sides, then removed it from the pot. I chopped 2 small onions and 12 cloves of garlic and sautéed them then put the meat back in the pot. 


While the meat was browning and the onions and garlic were cooking I mixed together the liquid to cook the brisket in
           1 bottle of beer, a stout, I used Magic Hat Heart of Darkness
           3/4 cup bourbon, I used Bulleit
           1/8 cup olive oil
           1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
           1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
           1/4 cup soy sauce
           1/4 cup brown sugar
           6 ounces tomato paste
           1 1/2 cups chicken broth


Then I added the liquid, made sure it was enough to cover the meat, then put the lid on the pressure cooker, locked it and set it to high pressure (# 2 setting) over medium heat and once the pressure indicator popped up set the timer for 50 minutes. When the timer went off I used the natural release method to release the pressure then removed the meat from the liquid. There is probably something cleaver I can do with the liquid I cooked it in so I saved the liquid in case I feel inspired... 


No comments:

Post a Comment