Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pulled Pork in a Pressure Cooker

I was really excited to continue you bourbon experimentation and pressure cooker experimentation with pulled pork but to get a good flavor I had to cook it some more after it was pulled so it didn't end up being a very quick solution to pulled pork. More testing is probably in order. 

Here's what I did. 

Covered the pork butt in Worcestershire sauce and rubbed on a rub (I made mine with paprika, dry mustard, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt, pepper). Then I let it rest for half an hour. 
Put some olive oil in the bottom of the cooker, add
1 onion and 6 cloves garlic
Once those are cooked sear the pork then add the liquid
1/2 cup bbq sauce
a beer (Magic Hat #9)
1/2 cup bourbon
3/4 cup apple cider
2 1/2 cups water

Position 2 for 60 minutes. Be sure not to overfill the pressure cooker


After 60 minutes, let pressure release naturally, remove the pork, let it rest a few minutes and use forks to pull the meat.

It was fine but I wasn't thrilled with tenderness or flavor, so I put everything (pork in one container, sauce it cooked in in another) in the fridge overnight to think about how to improve the flavor.

The next day I took out the sauce and removed the fat from the top. Then I let it simmer and reduce for about an hour, added pulled pork and let simmer in broth until it was all heated and coated.

 And used it for pulled pork sliders.






What's pulled pork without BBQ sauce?
I've been using this bourbon BBQ sauce recipe I found at epicurious

Put the following in a pot on the stove:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bourbon
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons molasses
3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons worcestershire
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic posder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Bring everything to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook about 10 minutes, stirring periodically


No comments:

Post a Comment