Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Shadow Boxing Cranes

I've had this image in my head of a shadow box with cranes flying in a blue sky and using a blue sky photo I've taken so today I tried to execute it and tried out two styles. My initial thought was to have small cranes lining the bottom of the box and one crane soaring high above them but as I tested a few different things my vision changed.

I had a black shadow box so I decided in order to help the cranes stand out I would make them silver and folded 3 silver cranes getting progressively smaller and they get higher in the sky. I also wrote the word soar on a black piece of paper and printed out a photo of the sky I had taken to be the background. I hung the cranes on fishing line and used a glue gun to secure the line to the top of the box and suspend the cranes.
I also had a white shadow box. For this one I had one crane soaring about a landscape, the landscape was made up of a bunch of photos I have taken that I printed out and cut down to scale them in the box. I wanted them to be 3-dimensional which is why I cut them out instead of editing them together. I used a glue gun to make mounds of glue to mount the cut-out photos to so they would have depth.

I have listed them in my etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment