Friday, July 20, 2012

basil ice cream with strawberries

We have a lot of basil in our yard and it seemed like it might make a refreshing ice cream flavor so I decided to give it a shot. I've seem multiple recipes for 'simple' or 'quick' ice cream that replace some of the milk and sugar with a can of sweetened condensed milk so I thought I'd test that out too.


Ingredients
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons vanilla
3 cups whole milk
10 basil leaves

1 bag frozen strawberries
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons maple rum


I put the all the ingredients (sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, whole milk, basil) in a pan on the stove 
When it began to simmer I whisked everything for 3 minutes then turned off the burner and let the basil steep for another 10 minutes. Then I removed the basil and put the milk mixture in the fridge for 6 hours. 

I wanted to add a little dimension and not just basil ice cream so I decided to add a strawberry swirl. 
I had a package of frozen strawberries, I put the on the stove and let it defrost and the strawberries cook down, stirring and smooshing them occasionally. They tasted a little tart so I added 2 Tablespoons of sugar. I am a sucker for anything maple so I'd purchased maple flavored rum awhile ago and decided to add that into the mix. I didn't want to cook off the alcohol so I added it after I was happy with the strawberry mush. Then I put that into the fridge to cool also. 


I mixed the ice cream as my mixer instructs (30 minutes on low) and then poured the strawberry mixture in one spot and turned the mixture on briefly to get the strawberry swirled in. Then the ice cream went into the freezer and will be a refreshing treat on these warm nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment