Monday, July 16, 2012

mint ice cream

It has been a hot and humid summer so far with little break in the heat. I realized that's lead me to many ice cream purchases so I decided to save some money and get back to experimenting with making my own ice cream. 


Ingredients:
3 cups of whole milk
1 cup of sugar
2 Tablespoons of cornstarch
1 Tablespoon of vanilla 
some salt
10 springs of mint (I used chocolate mint because that's what I had in the garden)
Andes Mints (I had wanted Oreos but they didn't have them at the store I went to so I decided to try these)

Directions:
put all the ingredients except the Andes mints on a pot on the stove and when it starts to simmer whisk constantly for 3 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Remove the sprigs of mint. Place in a covered container in the fridge for about 6 hours or in the freezer for about 2 hours, you just want to cool everything down 
These are the directions for  a KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment, if you're using something else follow the directions that came with it.  Put the milk mixture in the ice cream maker (which has been in the freezer for at least 12 hours) and mix on the lowest setting for 25 minutes. Cut up the Andes mints, after the ice cream has mixed for 25 minutes add the mints and mix for another 5 minutes. That's it! 
Put the ice cream in a freezer safe container and put it in the freezer, take it out and enjoy to help beat the heat and feed the sweet tooth! 


No comments:

Post a Comment