Monday, July 30, 2012

i dreamed of the sea

I've always felt a pull to the ocean, that's what has kept me living on the coasts of the country, I need to know I can quickly get to the sea. There is an incredible grounding that comes from sitting on the beach and watching the waves. 

This summer that pull has been greater and I've spent more time on the water than I have in a few years. It also provided me with inspiration for some new jewelry available in my etsy shop



I've been holding on to this golden mermaid for over ten years. I found this navy thread and thought about the dark blues of the ocean and fishermen seeing mermaids, with tangled fishing nets, and the nautical look of a toggle clasp... it needed a little more sparkle and some knots like a fishing net so I added some small pearly beads. 


This green glass bead reminded me of sea glass, sea foam green and smooth as if the waves have been washing over it. There's also a nautical feel to the bead which made me think of fishing boats, so I chose a brown thread and tied it off like you'd see a life preserver on a boat. The colors also remind me of seaweed. 


I found this shell this summer when I felt the pull of the sea that could not be ignored and took the train to the beach. It had a small hole at the top perfect to be part of a necklace. I added a silvery grey bead reminiscent of a pearl, although this is no oyster shell it seems like a good reminder that there are pearls everywhere for those who look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment