Tuesday, October 5, 2010

caramel apples

I don't think I've ever been apple picking so many times in one season before. It's been great! Of the 3 times I've been this year they've all been in different states, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Minnesota. There are a lot of things you can do with apples and this year I've been testing a lot of them. My Minnesota picking adventure over the weekend got us thinking about carmel... so while in Minnesota we looked at carmel in the store but everything had corn syrup. So now I've tried making my own... turns out it's pretty easy and doesn't require corn syrup.


Ingredients: 1 cup of sugar, 6 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of milk
put the sugar in a pot, over medium heat, stirring with whisk until the sugar melts and turns a nice amber color, be careful because it's easy for the sugar to burn, as it begins to bubble add the butter and whisk it in, once it has melted remove from heat and slowly stir in the milk


In this fall weather, colder temperatures and some rain... baked apples to go with the carmel for desert sounded good


I turned the oven on to 350, removed the apple cores and placed in a baking dish with one inch of water, baked until soft (about 35 minutes) then sliced and poured carmel on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment