Friday, October 8, 2010

chicken stock

To continue to try to use as much of the food we buy as we can instead of throwing out our chicken carcass the other night I stuck it in the fridge. This morning I made a stock from it which we'll be able to use for soups in the coming months.
I went really basic so that I'll be able to add whatever flavors I'd like when I actually make the soup. Sometimes I've put carrots, onions, celery... in the stock but then if I keep them in the stock they end up a soft soggy mess, I like to have some texture and I don't want to throw the vegetables out so today I kept it simple.


Put chicken carcass in a pot and add water until it just covers carcass. Add five cloves of garlic, cut in half, add two tablespoons of sliced fresh ginger. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down, cover and simmer for an hour, checking occasionally. Pour stalk through a strainer to get the chicken bones and skin out. Let cool and put in containers and into the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment