Thursday, October 7, 2010

hearty fall meal

It may sound strange but today was one of those days I wished had a few more hours in it - that part's not so strange - but that it was a day that many would describe as cold, dark, wet, dreary... and look forward to tomorrow's predicted sunshine.

Today I listened to the rain, I watched it hit the windows and roll down and splash the deck and on the street below. I sipped my morning coffee and contemplated where I am in my life, how much has changed in the last few months, in the last year and my decision to leave the job I'd held for nine years. I feel so lucky to have been able to make that choice and have this time to reconnect with life. I did some catch up things, emails etc.

Since it's farmers market day in the afternoon I threw on my raincoat and headed over to brave the weather. Farmers and postal service workers, out in every kind of weather... Feeling thankful for having the day to myself, not in an office and one of my nights off from babysitting I decided to make a hearty fall meal to have some quality dinner time with my partner and enjoy the bounty (and incredible colors) at the farmer's market.


First Course:
Chard Ravioli (from local Dave's Fresh Pasta), topped with freshly grated parmesan
Pasta Sauce - olive oil and garlic sauteed with tomato and basil from our garden
Toasted Squash seeds - from squash used for dinner, tossed with oil and salt and baked, placed on top of ravioli
Some lettuces from our garden
Farmers market carrots lightly steamed with a smidge of butter, fresh dill and salt


Dinner:
Roasted Chicken from the grocery store, I thought about trying to do one myself but the cost differential is so minimal and in the end I was short on time.
Rainbow chard sauteed with garlic in some oil
Squash similar to a pumpkin (I can't remember the name), steamed and mashed with a half tablespoon of butter, fresh from our yard chives and dill, and some salt

Served with a lovely bottle of pinot noir from V. Sattui

We had a wonderful, cozy night. I love fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment