Monday, November 22, 2010

Floored

We learned an important lesson over the weekend... remove the paint from the floors before sanding them. So, there's a new step in this floor project. I spent almost 8 hours today stripping paint off of the floors.
Safety first! I was using highly toxic chemicals to remove the paint so I wore a mask with chemical filters, heavy rubber gloves and long sleeves, pants and sneakers, turned off the heat so the fumes wouldn't get circulated through the house, opened the windows and put a fan in one to suck the fumes out.


I had some Citristrip and Ready Strip left from some other work we had done so I used them up but they were not nearly as effective. For most of the floors I used Klean-Strip.



Hopefully there is enough paint off the floors now for us to be able to sand them. There were at least 3 layers of paint and then what looks like some kind of stain underneath it all. I ran out of stripper before I could finish everything so there will be one more day of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment