Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hoop Garden



I have some vegetable that could still use a little more growing time but it is getting cold out and there will be frost soon. And If I harvested everything before it freezes and my veggies die it would be too much food to eat before it spoils - I still have all that lettuce to eat- so I decided to make a sort of hoop garden. The challenge is doing it using things I already have...

I found:
  • two thin bamboo pieces
  • a metal trim piece (piece of wood and a nail)
  • a large wooden steak
  • a large pice of bamboo
  • string
  • plastic panting drop cloth
  • somebroken bits of pavers and bricks


I moved the planters I had things growing in in between the two beds so that they could be covered too. The veggies at one end of the bed were shorter than the ones at the other end of the bed, so I used the small bamboo and string, I tied the string around the tops of the bamboo and used it to pull them together so they would be curved and closer to the beds. At the opposite end of the beds where the vegetables are taller I put the large bamboo and wooden steak and tied the string between them also.

The metal trim piece was wobbly so I nailed it to a board to give it some rigidity in the middle and placed the board between two of the planters so it would stand. Then I put the plastic over the top of everything and used binder clips and chip clips to hold the plastic on to the supports.

It's not a beautiful or expertly constructed hoop house but hopefully it will help to extend the growing time a little so we'll have a few more weeks of fresh vegetables from the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment