Monday, February 14, 2011

setting the Valentine mood

Valentine's Day has always been a bit of a challenge for me, not wanting to get drawn in to the consumerism construct of it but still feeling that twinge of disappointment if the day just passed by. And also feeling like a day to celebrate love, an excuse to remind us to be kind and tell the important people in our lives that we love them couldn't be all bad...

I started the day by making heart shaped pancakes with fresh strawberries and real maple syrup on top. I adapted a Joy of Cooking recipe
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2/3 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon + a little baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 cup of milk
mix ingredients until smooth, put a little butter in a frying pan, place a heard shaped cookie cutter and pour batter into cookie cutter, leave for a few seconds for batter to hold form and remove cookie cutter, remember that cookie cutter will get hot


After breakfast when my partner was at work I began working on decorating...
I cut out the center of heart shaped doilies
next cut out hearts that were slightly smaller than the pieces of doily I cut out
I used a hot glue gun to glue a piece of thin line, like fishing line, between two hearts and two doilies
then I hung them from the ceiling


Dinner was a joint effort, my partner bought the ingredients and went outside to grill steak and asparagus in the snow. I worked on the other sides
  • sweet potato - steamed until tender and then mashed with butter, garlic and fresh thyme
  • brocoli rabe - sauteed in oil with garlic, lavender salt, chili flakes
  • salad - lettuce, tossed with a little buttermilk dressing, croutons

with champagne and finished with a molten chocolate cake that my partner prepared... it was a lovely delicious Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment