Thursday, August 12, 2010

drip, drip, drip



My activity for today got chosen for me. I went down to the basement to do laundry and found a puddle on the floor. It was clear that water was dripping from a pipe above me. The pipe had a shut-off valve and no cap on the end, so water was dripping out the end of the pipe and tracing back down the pipe and dripping down under the shut-off. So, first I put a bucket under the drip, turned the shut-off valve to the right (I could get it to move very slightly) and began to clean up the water. The dustpan was effective to get up most of the water and then I used the mop to soak up the rest of it. I also traced the water pipe back to see if there were other shut-offs between the pipe and the main shut-off so I'd be able to turn off the water if I needed to. Since I was doing laundry I got to check on the pipe when I went down to move the laundry around and it seemed to stop.


Hooray for easy fixes! And coincidences - being home and going down to do laundry, who knows what a mess we would have had had we found it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment