Thursday, August 12, 2010

Squash Blossom Salad




The saying third time's a charm rings especially true to me when it comes to squash blossoms. I've seen them at farmers markets for years but been unsure about how to prepare them. Last year I had gone to brunch at a restaurant behind a farmers market before hitting the market myself and squash blossoms were on the menu, I was so excited to get to try them, especially since they'd been picked that morning and purchased by the restaurant that day... they had just sold out. It was a similar story on my second encounter with them on a menu. But the third time I found them - at a wonderful restaurant called the Flea St Cafe in California - I finally got to try them. Delicious!

So today, I was feeling uninspired thinking about what I might make for dinner. I had gone to a farmers market yesterday with a friend, one I'd never been too which was great but had been so overwhelmed with the crowd I didn't actually get much to make complete meals, so I went to the market today for inspiration.

So, for dinner, I made three dishes:

Green Beans
  • put olive oil and garlic in a pan, heat slightly
  • add green beans and toss in pan
  • add about 1/8 cup of water and cover so bean steam slightly but you want them to keep their bright green color and crispness
  • turn off heat, add salt, pepper and pumpkin seed oil and toss together
Tomato & Melon
  • slice heirloom tomatoes
  • slice watermelon - I also used a small yellow melon that I had
  • layer tomatoes and watermelon
  • optional: add mint, salt, drizzle of balsamic reduction
Salad topped with stuffed squash blossoms

Squash Blossoms
  • rinse blossoms inside and out
  • mix ricotta with fresh mint, salt and pepper, stuff the blossoms with this mixture
  • mix 1/2 cup flour with 3/4 cup seltzer or sparkling water, use this batter to coat the stuffed blossoms
  • heat oil in a ban and place stuffed blossoms in the pan, get a light brown on all sides
  • remove to plate to cool slightly so they don't wilt the salad greens but you want to eat them while they're still warm


Salad
  • fresh lettuces
  • thinly sliced radishes
  • thinly sliced fennel
  • sliced peaches



No comments:

Post a Comment