Monday, August 16, 2010

Dulce Delicious Cupcakes


I had a successful weekend experiment that I was so excited about I've decided to share.
A friend's birthday cake tradition is white cake with dulce de leche between the layers and chocolate frosting on the outside. I was going to a picnic on the beach to celebrate a friend's birthday over the weekend and cupcakes seemed more practical than an entire cake but I wanted the dulce filling and was able to achieve it! Cupcakes with dulce surprise!

I found a basic white cupcake recipe at epicurious that I edited slightly based on what I had on hand
3 cups flour
2/12 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup salted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups 2% milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Once I had the batter I filled the cupcake liners about half way and then made a depression with a spoon in the middle of the in the batter for each cupcake and put a dollop of dulce de leche in the indentation in the batter

Then I put more batter on top, covering the dulce, so it would be a surprise when you get to the center of the cupcake.

I baked them in a preheated oven at 350 for 15 minutes

And when they were done and had cooled in the pan for about 8 minutes I moved them to a cooling rack and opened one up to see if it had worked...



Success! All that was left was to make chocolate frosting and frost the cupcakes.

Chocolate Frosting:

1 square bakers chocolate
1.5 Tblsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
3Tbl milk
1/2 box powdered sugar

Melt chocolate and butter, add vanilla, mix in sugar and add milk a little at a time until you get to a good consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment