Monday, January 13, 2014

Basic Mustard


After making the pretzels it seemed like mustard was the next logical step. I quickly discovered that it is incredibly easy to make a basic mustard - just mustard powder and water could do the trick - so here is what I tried 

I combined the dry ingredients
6 tablespoons mustard seeds that I ground with a mortar and pestle but could have done in a spice grinder, until they were in various stages of crushed, not totally powder
1/2 cup mustard powder
2 teaspoons salt
and the separately the wet ingredients
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup white wine (water would also work)
Then I whisked the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until evenly mixed
Then the mixture (which is about a cup worth) went into a glass jar and into the fridge to sit for at least  12 hours before testing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment