Friday, January 17, 2014

Faux Porcelain

I've been seeing some quick ways to transform old glass jars and bottles with new looks to use as vases or candle holders etc. and I optimistically bought all the supplies I needed to give them a try. This is not the best project for January since it's best when using spray paints to be able to do it outside and itneeds to be warm enough outside to do it… Today was a little heat wave of 50 degrees so I decided today was my day to give this a try! 

I've actually come across this on a few different blogs that all reference this post. It seems so simple that instead of re-posting her beautiful stuff again, I decided I wanted to try it for myself and see if it is really as easy as she made it look. 



What you need:
glass jars or bottles or cans or whatever you want to use
white enamel spray, I used Rust-oleum in flat white that I picked up at my local hardware store
puff paint
newspaper or drop cloth


Step one: make sure your bottle is clean
Step two: use puff paint to make a design on the bottle or jar you're going to paint and let it dry 
Step three: go outside, put down the newspaper and spray paint your items, once dry give a second coat


That's it! Since this was my first attempt and I had some time constraints I tried to keep it really simple but I look forward to giving this another try when the weather is warmer. Keep an eye out for how to make the heart flower (pictured right) in February as part of my countdown to Valentine's Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment