Tuesday, January 21, 2014

First Attempt at Homemade Pasta

We inherited a pasta maker and I finally got the courage to try it out. Part of my hesitation had been that it needed to be cleaned and I wasn't sure how to go about doing that. I did some online research and then took some of the ideas from that to clean it. 


To clean it I ended up using a damp paper towel that I dampened with warm water and vinegar. I wiped the pasta maker down and ran the paper towel through it too. 

I got Bob's Red Mill semolina flour and used the recipe on the bag as a guide. The other recipes I've seen gave a little different instructions so I combined the two… 
Instead of making the dough on a flat surface I made it in a low bowl in case the egg mixture wouldn't stay in the well of flour, which was the case


Put 
1 1/2 cups flour and make a well in the middle 
to the well add 
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons water 
Mix the liquids with a fork then mix into flour by hand
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt
 once dough is mixed and holding together, turn it out on to a board to kneed for 10 minutes
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes
On a lightly floured board roll out the dough
Then put the dough through the flat pasta roller 


Next put the sheets of dough through the desired pasta setting



Boil water with a little salt and oil and the pasta should cook in only about 2 minutes.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment