Friday, January 17, 2014

Faux Mercury Glass

I've been seeing some quick ways to transform old glass jars and bottles with new looks to use as vases or candle holders etc. and I optimistically bought all the supplies I needed to give them a try. This is not the best project for January since it's best when using spray paints to be able to do it outside and itneeds to be warm enough outside to do it… Today was a little heat wave of 50 degrees so I decided today was my day to give this a try! 


What you need:
glass jars or bottles or whatever you want to transform - I used some liquor bottles I'd been holding on to because I liked their shapes
Krylon Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint that  I picked up at my local hardware store
spray bottle with water and vinegar solution - I ended up using yoga mat spray that I'd made that is basically a water vinegar solution
paper towel 
newspaper or drop cloth


Step one: make sure your bottles are clean and dry
Step two: get the space prepared where you're going to paint. 
Step three: spray the bottle with water and vinegar so there are little droplets on it and then then spray with looking glass. Wait about a minute then blot with a paper towel to help with the worn and crackled look
Step 4: repeat - spray with vinegar and then spray with looking glass. If you're not happy with it or you want it more 'silver' repeat the process again


I didn't have too much time today when I was doing this but I'm pretty happy with the results and look forward to trying it again. This worked well on both clear and brown glass bottles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment